PHILADELPHIA -- A chance ride, an hourlong conversation, and the generosity of strangers are making it possible for a Philadelph

in BullyGeister 15.10.2018 08:07
von jj009 | 3.862 Beiträge

PHILADELPHIA -- A chance ride, an hourlong conversation, and the generosity of strangers are making it possible for a Philadelphia Uber driver to go to Rio to see his son compete in the Olympics.Retired bus driver Ellis Hill didnt have the money to fly to Brazil to watch his son, shot putter Darrell Hill.I was content with just staying home and getting a good bag of popcorn and watching him on TV, he said.But in late July, when the Democratic National Convention was in town, he was fortunate to pick up Liz Willock of Chicago at the Philadelphia airport.There was an air of love and peace, he said. I met a lot of interesting people and delegates from different states.Traffic restrictions and a slow drive to Willocks hotel in New Jersey left plenty of time for conversation.Eventually talk turned to the Olympics. Willock said she knew one of the swimmers competing. Hill did her one better and told her his son, who was a track and field star at Penn State, was in the competitions.Then Willock asked Hill if he was able to go.When he told me he couldnt go to the Olympics in Rio, I just wondered how I would feel as a parent of athletes, Willock said.Within minutes, Willock asked Hill whether he would go if she got him plane tickets.Hill was stunned.I said, `Whoa, I dont even know you, Hill said. She said, `No, no, I believe it was meant for you and I to meet because I just missed my flight.A GoFundMe page was set up, and literally within two days, wed raised the funds, said Willock, who works at a concierge service arranging travel and accommodation for patients participating in clinical trials across the world.Over 150 people had donated $8,200 by the time Willock closed the Send Darrells Dad to Rio fundraiser -- some of them friends and classmates of Hills son, but most complete strangers.As well as booking flights and making hotel reservations, Hill had to apply for a passport. It will be his first trip abroad.Willock said shes happy to be able to help a stranger whos no longer a stranger.Im sure well be friends for life now, she said.Hill heads to Rio on Monday. His son celebrates his 23rd birthday Wednesday and competes on Thursday.A lot of Americans are getting gold, and I hope hes one of them, he said.---Associated Press writer Teresa Crawford in Chicago contributed to this report. Dominic Moore Jersey . -- James Young couldnt wait to apply those tweaks to his jump shot, and the first one he made against UT Arlington told him it could be a good night. Josh Leivo Jersey .1 million pounds ($61.2 million) on Saturday, giving the beleaguered English Premier League champions a major lift. http://www.leafsauthority.com/authentic-dave-keon-maple-leafs-jersey/ .Y. - Detroit goaltender Jonas Gustavsson has earned NHL first star of the week honours after winning in his first three appearances of the season. Connor Carrick Jersey . -- An ugly goal by Nick Bonino helped the Anaheim Ducks overcome the defensive-minded Phoenix Coyotes on a night when their ragged power play continued to struggle. Darryl Sittler Jersey .Y. -- Marcell Dareus and the Buffalo Bills defence made life miserable for Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco. MIAMI -- After snapping the Kansas City Royals nine-game winning streak on Wednesday, the Miami Marlins will try to take the deciding game of the three-game series on Thursday.The Marlins (66-60) have the edge over the Royals (65-61) in terms of the series finales starting-pitching matchup.Marlins right-hander Tom Koehler (9-8, 3.82 ERA) is 3-0 with a 1.62 ERA over his last six starts. He has allowed just 26 hits while striking out 30 in that span.The Royals will counter with Edinson Volquez (9-10, 5.04 ERA). The right-hander has a bloated 7.16 ERA over his past five starts, allowing six homers and 26 runs in that span.If the Royals can be tied or ahead once the game gets to the bullpen, then they have the advantage. Kansas City relievers have pitched a franchise-record 34 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings.Our bullpen is doing fine, Royals manager Ned Yost said after Kansas Citys 3-0 loss to Miami on Wednesday. They came in (on Wednesday) and held (Miami) right there, did their job.The Marlins will have a new arrival Thursday, as they acquired outfielder Jeff Francoeur on Wednesday night from the Atlanta Braves.Francoeur, 32, has 160 career homers, including seven this year in 257 at-bats. He figures to give the Marlins some right-handed power off the bench.Miami general manager Michael Hill said he was looking for help since his star right fielder, Giancarlo Stanton, went down recently with a groin injury.Once the injury to (Stanton) happened, we wanted to get a right-handed outfielder, Hill said. He wanted someone who could give us punch against left-handed pitching.As well as our team has played, we wanted to do anything we could to get us to where we want to be, which is October baseball.The Marlins will have to make a roster move Thursday to clear room for Francoeur. The player most likely to go down to the minors is infielder/outfielder Robert Andino, a recent call-up.As for the Marlins regulars, manager Don Mattingly said Wednesday that he doesnt see a huge difference between starting shortstop Adeiny Hechavarriia and backup Miguel Rojas.dddddddddddd.It was a surprising comment because Hechavarria is a Gold Glove-caliber shortstop who is in the prime of his career at age 27. This is his fourth year as the Marlins starter. Hechavarria came off the bench Wednesday night to make a spectacular diving catch on a line drive by Alcides Escobar for the first out of the ninth inning.That was a great play, Escobar said. That changed the game right there in that situation. I hit that ball really well. When I saw the catch, I said, Oh!Mattingly, though, seems to favor Rojas, who is also 27 but has never been an everyday starter in the big leagues. This is his third year in the majors, and he has a .598 career on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS). Hechavarrias career OPS isnt great, either, but it is better at .634.Defensively, Hechavarria has the edge again, posting a .979 career fielding percentage to a .976 mark for Rojas.However, Mattingly seems to value Rojas versatility and ability to play any spot on the infield, including first base.Overall, Hech is our shortstop, but Im comfortable with either guy, Mattingly said.Given Mattinglys comments, it seems as if the Marlins are setting up to trade Hechavarria in the offseason, turning to the cheaper option in Rojas.Hechavarria is making $2.6 million this season and should get a raise as he is eligible for arbitration. Rojas is making only $511,000 and is not yet eligible for arbitration.Miggy is a solid player who can do different things, Mattingly said. Miggy is valuable because he can play all over the place. Hech is more suited to play one spot (shortstop).The Royals have no controversy at shortstop, where Alcides Escobar has started all 126 games this season.Escobar went 2-for-4 on Wednesday, raising his average to .261 and his OPS to .613. In his past 12 games, Escobar has six multi-hit contests, and he is batting .378 (17-for-45) overall in that span. Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys China NFL Hoodies Cheap NFL Jerseys Camo Wholesale Jerseys 2019 NFL Jerseys Cheap Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic NFL Jerseys From China Discount NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys From China Cheap NFL T-shirts Wholesale NFL Gear NFL Jerseys China NFL Jerseys Cheap Cheap Jerseys 2020 Cheap NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap Cheap NFL Autographed Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: bionatrolketo
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 33365 Themen und 67506 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen