system that they

in Online-Shop-Napfputzer 27.08.2018 04:06
von hongwei28 | 517 Beiträge

There’s going to be dozens of players left out in the cold at next week’s NBA draft Customized Houston Texans Jerseys , players who will not hear their names called by the time the night is over.

Udonis Haslem knows how they’ll feel.

He also may be the example they’ll need.

Undrafted in 2002, Haslem – a Miami native who has spent his entire NBA career with his hometown Miami Heat – has been in the league longer than just about any other active player. He’s planning and hoping to sign this summer to return for a 16th season, something that was not only unlikely but unthinkable after every team passed when given the chance to secure his services through the draft.

”My mind works differently,” Haslem said. ”I know when one door closes, another door opens. That’s the way it’s always been for me.”

Out of the 57 draft picks that all went ahead of Haslem in 2002, only one – Nene – was on a roster last season. Haslem has outlasted almost everyone who was in the league when he arrived as a rookie in 2003 following a year in France; just 12 players who were in the NBA in 2002-03 remained on rosters this past season.

He’s one of many undrafted success stories in the NBA right now: Utah’s Joe Ingles and Philadelphia’s Robert Covington played huge roles for their respective teams reaching the second round of the playoffs, Miami’s Tyler Johnson is about to see his salary explode to nearly $40 million over the next two seasons, and Boston’s Aron Baynes became a pivotal part of the Celtics‘ rotation this season while appearing in 100 games.

They’re all proof that if there’s enough skill, the NBA will eventually notice.

”UD would never get told no,” his longtime Heat teammate Dwyane Wade said. ”I remember when I came in for my Heat workout before the draft and asked who the guy getting every rebound was and they told me, `That’s Udonis Haslem.’ And I didn’t even recognize him because of how much he’d changed his body. I knew right away that he was a guy I wanted on my team.”

Haslem was an underrated part of all three of Miami’s championship teams in 2006, 2012 and 2013. He barely sees the court anymore Customized Dallas Cowboys Jerseys , appearing in only 30 games over the last two seasons. But he remains invaluable to the Heat for what he brings to the locker room and from a leadership perspective, which is why he’ll probably be on Miami’s roster next season – although Thursday, Haslem floated the idea of possibly looking to play in Europe or China if things in Miami don’t work out.

”When you talk about culture and Miami Heat culture, you’re talking about Udonis Haslem,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. ”The way he keeps himself ready, the way he’s always working, the way that he’s a voice in our locker room, he epitomizes what it means to be a Miami Heat player. We tell people all the time, if you want to understand our culture, look at UD. He is our rock. He has the ultimate respect of this locker room.”

It hasn’t been easy. Haslem has reinvented himself more than a few times along the way.

”He impacts winning,” said Oklahoma City coach Billy Donovan, Haslem’s college coach at Florida. ”He knows exactly what goes into winning. He’s a consummate warrior Andre Ethier Jersey , an unbelievable competitor.”

Haslem was a 300-pounder during his college days at Florida, which explains why he went undrafted; he’s now chiseled, with nary a speck of visible body fat on his 38-year-old frame. He was terrible with money when he entered the league; he still cringes at particularly wasteful expenditure – an ostrich couch – that he quickly ruined. He not only didn’t open his mail, he didn’t even know where it was being sent.

Today, he’s a budding mogul.

Haslem has ownership of no fewer than 13 franchises – Subway, Auntie Anne’s, Starbucks and Einstein Bros. Bagels among them – in his rapidly growing business portfolio. He’s partnering with Wade on some future projects.

”I’m not complaining. I’m continuing to stay motivated, putting basketball energy into business energy,” Haslem said. ”The things that I deal with are things that I’m engaged in, things I believe in. If I invest in something, I’ve eaten there.”

That’s another lesson for this next generation of NBA players. Haslem has made himself rather wealthy despite never signing what would be considered a massive contract by NBA standards. The most he ever made in a season was just over $7 million – a fortune for most people, yet pretty pedestrian for those who have been in the league this long.

”UD is a great example of what happens if you work 49ers Jonathan Cooper Jersey ,” Heat guard Goran Dragic said. ”That’s how he made a great career.”

The number was different on Friday 鈥?No. 49 instead of No. 18. So were the colors, trading black and gold for dark blue and white.

The effort and excitement from Shaquem Griffin? That remained the same.

"We had to slow him down on some stuff early. In the walkthrough he was going too hard. We had to chill him out a little bit," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said.

The next chapter of Griffin's football career got underway with the first day of Seattle's three-day minicamp for rookies. In a way, it was a welcome return to normalcy for Griffin after months where the focus was strictly on what he's overcome missing his left hand and whether he would be given a chance in the NFL.

For one afternoon 鈥攅ven if it was simply in shorts, his new jersey and a helmet 鈥?Griffin could just be a football player.

"It's kind of fun to be honest. I was ready to get back to football. I'm pretty sure all the guys that are here were ready to get back to football," Griffin said. "When you're away from football, you have to do all the drills and the combine and the pro day. The only thing you are really here to do is play football. So when you get a chance to go to the draft and that part is over with, and you get signed on to a team and you're ready to go, now it's back to everything you've been doing to get to this point and that's play football."

The day was filled mostly with basics, as Griffin and the rest of Seattle's draft class and rookie free agent signings learned how Carroll runs things in Seattle. Considering how the past week has been, even the mundane fundamentals were welcomed by Griffin.

Outside of the quarterbacks drafted in the first round, there was no bigger story in the draft than where Griffin would go. He was a star in college at Central Florida and deserving of a shot in the NFL Uchenna Nwosu Jersey Elite , especially after stealing the spotlight with his performance at the scouting combine.

It was Seattle that eventually gave Griffin his NFL chance, drafting him in the fifth round and reuniting him with his twin brother Shaquill, who was drafted by the Seahawks in 2017 and became a starting cornerback in his rookie season. But with the pick came an avalanche of requests and attention for Griffin and the Seahawks to filter. And in the grand scheme, Griffin is still a draft pick that must find a role as a weakside linebacker and special teams contributor.

"It's extremely important for that turn to occur," Carroll said. "It's been a great story, it will always be a great story, but right now he's got work to do and he's got focus he's got to generate. He's got a lot of people tugging on him and for all of the right reasons and all of that, but I know that he's very determined and we are to help him in his pursuit of making the club and making a spot and all of that. He's like everybody else, he's got to compete like everybody."

Carroll did note that Griffin seemed to have a little better understanding of what he was going to face arriving for the rookie minicamp likely thanks to some tips from his brother. While this weekend is just three days of creating the foundation, the next step for Griffin will come later this month when the Seahawks move into the next phases of their offseason program and integrate more of the rookie class.

""It's been a whirlwind but that's over with," Griffin said. "It's time for us to get to work and make sure I give high competition. Make sure I get a chance for the coaches to see who I am. Make sure I can do my best to make sure I can make my players better and help anybody I can."

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Biogenxxv
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 25370 Themen und 59320 Beiträge.

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen